Win-ubuntu-installer----通过M$ Win安装ubuntu!!!

系统安装、升级讨论
版面规则
我们都知道新人的确很菜,也喜欢抱怨,并且带有浓厚的Windows习惯,但既然在这里询问,我们就应该有责任帮助他们解决问题,而不是直接泼冷水、简单的否定或发表对解决问题没有任何帮助的帖子。乐于分享,以人为本,这正是Ubuntu的精神所在。
回复

公投:回帖多,说明问题也多,现在常见问题基本上都在回帖中可以找到,请问:本帖是否有必要继续在初学者园地置顶?

投票结束于 2007-09-26 9:55

86%
14%

总计票数: 103
头像
skyx
论坛版主
帖子: 9202
注册时间: 2006-12-23 13:46
来自: Azores Islands
联系:

Win-ubuntu-installer----通过M$ Win安装ubuntu!!!

帖子 skyx » 2007-02-10 1:30

为了达到最佳效果,推荐1280*xxx或更高分辨率,使用firefox或opera 等非IE内核浏览器在非win平台浏览本帖

请按骨头大大的方法对你所用电脑进行仔细的硬件兼容性测试,兼容性测试通过后再进行下面的步骤,否则不要往下看了

viewtopic.php?t=97951

wubi的替代方案一(usb启动ubuntu可不涉及华镭专利,在中国大陆合法):

viewtopic.php?t=103990&highlight=

wubi的替代方案二(usb启动ubuntu可不涉及华镭专利,在中国大陆合法)

viewtopic.php?t=58778

今后如果出现最新版,用法只会更加简单,本帖有可能会不做另行通知,有最新版可以到Win-ubuntu-installer主页下载:
http://wubi-installer.org/

如果上不了国外网,可从附件下载,能上国外网的可从下面地址下载

http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... .04.04.exe

原文地址: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

Win-ubuntu-installer最大特点是:

1。国际语言版,安装界面支持简体中文,安装ubuntu 不用另行分区,不安装grub,不修改硬盘mbr, 安装和卸载都可在xp上进行 ,真正的绿色软件, 系统可以在xp中卸载,也可以直接删除ubuntu目录!

2。体验有史以来最炫的3D桌面——compiz fusion,只要显卡支援opengl ,就可安装3d桌面。

3。不通过虚拟机,也不用光驱,直接把ubuntu安装在windows分区(ntfs和fat32都没问题)中,安装完后功能和有linux分区和装有grub的ubuntu系统完全一样,但新手在熟悉基本操作和概念前,要慎重升级系统(实际上upgrade /dist-upgrade升级完全没问题,但这种方法安装的 ubuntu 可能有部分电脑升级后提示hal错误,这是这种方法的老毛病,lqtliang在101楼提出更新hal会出问题:解决方法是: 新立得 搜索 hal 把Hal 和 Hal-device-manager选中 并强制为老的版本 )。

4。和用ubuntu live cd (desktop cd )的方法不同,由于采用ubuntu alternate cd iso ,这种方法对内存的要求要比live cd 低。当然第一次安装比采用desktop时间长很多,但安装好后,和安装在linux专属分区中的ubuntu相比,在性能上的差异主观不可察觉(不排除个别电脑装后觉得慢的情况,对于大多数电脑,速度都是比较快的)

5。不少人只会用win ,对grub 和linux分区的概念不清楚,由于没有一点linux方面的基本常识.......................Win-ubuntu最适合这样的朋友,也比较适合上班族在办公室装有M$ Win的电脑上安全地折腾和捣鼓ubuntu

感谢gnix_oag提供帮助

wubi的替代方案

viewtopic.php?t=58778

安装方法

下面以附件中的Win-ubuntu-installer7.04为例,敬请高度集中注意下面红色部分的内容

本帖附件为Win-ubuntu-installer 7.04,下面的说明以7.04为例,最好在安装前认真看下下面的安装方法,还有回帖中的内容,
未来版本的用法也类似,只会更加简单
ubuntu 7.10或未来的新版ubuntu发布后,Win-ubuntu-installer会升级到新版,
Is Wubi officially supported by Ubuntu?
Not at the moment, Wubi is an independent project, but there are plans to make Wubi an official installer for Ubuntu 7.10.

有可能从7.10开始,Win-ubuntu-installer会成为ubuntu官方的ubuntu安装程序之一,请耐心等待激动人心的ubuntu官方支持版本!

不少朋友认为安装中下载ubuntu alternate cd 很慢,其实这一步可以自己手动下载,请仔细看下面有图片的安装方法中的第二步到第四步,也可以建一个wubi-save(后来证实两个文件放在一个任意名称的目录中也行)目录,把Wubi-7.04.04.exe和ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso放在wubi-save目录中,然后运行这个目录中的Wubi-7.04.04.exe程序即可

为保证安装成功,除了你的电脑硬件兼容性没问题外,你的硬盘分区历史,最好不要出现第三方分区工具的参与,否则会出现安装到36%时出错或其它不成功的现象

1。对你打算安装ubuntu的分区进行一次全面的磁盘碎片整理后,运行程序,设置ubuntu的用户名和密码
图片

2。软件会从网络下载ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso,但有可能下载速度超慢,如果是下面画面中的这种速度,一定要点取消,手动通过第三方工具下载ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso,下载地址:
viewtopic.php?t=49434
图片

3。手动下载好后,把ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso拷贝到D:\wubi\install\下并删除刚才只下载了部分的ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso.partial文件,然后重新运行该程序,这时程序会对iso文件进行验证。
图片

4。安装完成

图片

1。重启电脑后在启动菜单中选ubuntu启动,第一次启动时间会很长,但不用值守,出现的蓝色屏幕和乱码是正常现象,不要惊慌失措,完成后系统会自动重启。

2。接着到启动菜单再次选ubuntu ,系统会进行磁盘检查,完成后会自动重启。

3。然后从启动菜单第三次选ubuntu启动,到ubuntu登陆画面后,,输入安装时设定的用户名和密码后,就可以进入ubuntu桌面了。

4。最后,你要做的事情很多,首先就是看ubuntu中文论坛的置顶帖或wiki ubuntu 快速指南,改源,安装语言支持/输入法。安装音视频解码器,安装硬件驱动,安装有史以来最炫的3d桌面等等。

Win-ubuntu-installer,为尝试和体验ubuntu提供了一个简单安全的方案,对于那些想安装ubuntu,又害怕linux分区,害怕grub安装的朋友提供了方便,但系统没有安装在linux分区中,难免有些遗憾(不排除未来的新版会把ubuntu安装到linux专属分区的可能),并不是真正linuxfans情愿支持和推荐的ubuntu安装方法,用这种方法体验后,如果你喜欢ubuntu linux ,体验好后最好通过光盘安装ubuntu。
附件
wubnttu7.04.part6.rar
(265.18 KiB) 已下载 7215 次
wubnttu7.04.part5.rar
(1.91 MiB) 已下载 9345 次
wubnttu7.04.part4.rar
(1.91 MiB) 已下载 7598 次
wubnttu7.04.part3.rar
(1.91 MiB) 已下载 9685 次
wubnttu7.04.part2.rar
(1.91 MiB) 已下载 8615 次
wubnttu7.04.part1.rar
(1.91 MiB) 已下载 11781 次
1.JPG
1.JPG (9.3 KiB) 查看 42562 次
上次由 skyx 在 2008-03-18 13:42,总共编辑 149 次。
no security measure is worth anything if an attacker has physical access to the machine
头像
zhuqin_83
帖子: 10606
注册时间: 2006-05-13 4:02
联系:

帖子 zhuqin_83 » 2007-02-10 4:06

mm把这些英文翻译一遍吧,我肯定帮你++ :D
HP Pavilion DV6-2064CA: AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M640, HD4650, 2GBx2 DDR2-800, Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA, BD-ROM
DELL UltraSharp 2209WA
Arch64, Testing repo
头像
karron
帖子: 6226
注册时间: 2005-06-11 14:03
来自: 不明真相的群众
联系:

帖子 karron » 2007-02-10 7:01

viewtopic.php?t=26167

相关帖子在论坛都几年了... 不过最近里面的引导文件不知道被谁给删除了.
我的blog,关于技术,软件,linux,vim <---- 所有博客均被河蟹.
头像
SuperWar3Fan
帖子: 1263
注册时间: 2006-05-20 6:25
来自: 山东淄博
联系:

帖子 SuperWar3Fan » 2007-02-10 10:12

学习
头像
zhuqin_83
联系:

帖子 zhuqin_83 » 2007-02-10 12:01

不好意思,我看不懂耶~
HP Pavilion DV6-2064CA: AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M640, HD4650, 2GBx2 DDR2-800, Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA, BD-ROM
DELL UltraSharp 2209WA
Arch64, Testing repo
头像
skyx
论坛版主
联系:

帖子 skyx » 2007-02-10 12:39

FAQ,对于上不了国外网的中国教育网用户,可以参考这里,我想大家都可以看懂,所以还是坚持不译保持原汁原味的原则: :( :lol:

代码: 全选

Introduction
What is Wubi?

Wubi is an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with just a few clicks. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application. If you heard about Linux and Ubuntu, if you wanted to try them but you were afraid, Wubi is for you.
How to use this guide

This guide is intended for advanced users that want to tweak the standard installation. The standard installation has default settings that will work for most people. For general information on Wubi see the Wubi official website. You might also be interested in the Wubi Forum.

Please note that this guide is only for issues directly related to the Wubi installer; for general Ubuntu questions please use appropriate resources like  the official Ubuntu documentation or  ubuntuforums or  ubuntuguide.

Installation
How do I install to a different partition?

Use the advanced settings in the installer. Note: moving folder manually is no longer supported.
How do I make Ubuntu the default boot option?

Ubuntu is not installed as the default boot option, you have to select it in the windows boot menu. To change that, in windows XP go to control_panel > system > advanced > startup_and_recovery and edit the "Default Operating System", if you want you can change the timeout as well.
How do I install on a machine with no internet connection?

Try to find a computer with internet access, and download both Wubi and the required ISO (containing the installation files):

[WWW] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=198355

[WWW] http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.04/ubuntu-7.04-alternate-i386.iso

Then copy both files within the same folder on the machine with no internet acces. Then run the Wubi executable. If you have internet access on the machine where you plan to install Ubuntu, you only need Wubi (the first link), Wubi will automatically download the other file as required.
How can I use a manually downloaded ISO?

You need to download the ALTERNATE ISO of the appropriate version (7.04 final version at the moment). Place the ISO in the same folder where you have Wubi-7.04-XYZ.exe. Then run Wubi.
How do I install Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Fluxbuntu?

There are 2 ways of doing that. You can install your favorite distro from within Wubi (see the advanced settings), or you can install just Ubuntu and then once you are in Ubuntu, you can install the other desktop environments as normal packages. Each desktop environment is available as a single package (e.g. kubuntu-desktop). That will probably require a larger disk image (see below), but it's the preferred option, since you will not have to reboot to change the desktop, simply log-off and choose the desktop environment in the options at login. The first option is recommended only if you want a single desktop environment, e.g. if you have an old machine and want to use Xubuntu (Xfce) without having to install Ubuntu (Gnome).
Can I have multiple linux installations at the same time?

As explained above, there is probably no need, but the answer is yes.

Do a normal installation,

Rename C:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk into something else (say ubuntu.virtual.disk)

Reinstall, say using kubuntu ISO

Rename system.virtual.disk to kubuntu.virtual.disk. So you should now have C:\wubi\disks\ubuntu.virtual.disk and C:\wubi\disks\kubuntu.virtual.disk

Edit C:\wubi\grub\menu.lst:

Comment out the hidemenu option (put a "#" in front of it, so that the menu is displayed)

Increase the timeout time (how long the menu is displayed before selecting the default option)

Copy the last block starting with "title". Each title block is a boot menu entry

Give an appropriate title to each of the 2 blocks (e.g. "title Ubuntu" and "title Kubuntu")

Add the kernel paramter "system_virtual_disk=ubuntu.virtual.disk" to the first block and "system_virtual_disk=kubuntu.virtual.disk" to the second one.

Note: you will see 2 boot menus: one to choose between Windows and Ubuntu, and one to choose between Ubuntu and Kubuntu. It is not possible at the moment to do that directly in boot.ini (grldr cannot take menu.lst as a boot.ini parameter)
What Operating Systems are supported?

Windows Vista, XP, and 2000 are known to be working fine with Wubi. Windows 98 should also work, but it has not been thoroughly tested. Windows ME is not supported. Linux is supported through Lubi [WWW] http://lubi.sourceforge.net/.
How do I reinstall Wubi?

Run Wubi-7.04-XYZ.exe again. Wubi will detect that there is an existing installation and you will be shown an option to uninstall. You can back up your home files if you wish, and you probably want to backup the installation files (the ISO) in order to avoid to have to download them again. Remember that if your installation stops half way through for whatever reason, you need to reinstall otherwise you will get an (almost) useless prompt. Note that when you reinstall, the system virtual drive (system.virtual.disk) is reset, while the virtual drive containing personal files (home.virtual.disk) is left untouched.
Uninstallation
How do I uninstall Wubi?

Run the uninstaller in add-remove programs
How do I manually uninstall Wubi?

Remove C:\wubi and C:\wubildr*. Then edit C:\boot.ini and delete the Wubi line. C:\boot.ini is normally protected. To edit it, go to control_panel > system > advanced > startup_and_recovery and press Edit.
Virtual Disks
What are the different disk files for?

There are 5 special files under C:\wubi\disks\. Such files are seen by Linux as real Hard Disks. Let's meet them:

system.virtual.disk contains the system files and all the software, it is equivalent to C:\WINDOWS and C:\Program Files. It is mapped to /dev/loop7 and mounted as /.

home.virtual.disk contains personal files (shared or not) and user profiles. This is normally used to to store your office documents, music files, pictures... It is equivalent to "My Documents". It is mounted as /home.

swap.virtual.disk is used by the operating system to help out the memory. In order to safely hibernate/suspend, swap.virtual.disk should be as large as the RAM. There is often no need to make it any larger than that. It mounted as swap.

extra.virtual.disk is an optional virtual disk. If found, it is mounted /media/extra.

programs.virtual.disk is an optional virtual disk. If found, it gets mounted under /usr.

How big are the virtual disks?

The default size is calculated automatically based on your free space, you can change that in the advanced settings. The space is not actually fully used, a barebone installation take less than 2GB including all the preinstalled software (office suite, games, graphics applications, etc...), but if the virtual disks were of 2-3GB you would soon run out of space once you start installing extra software. Remember that on FAT filesystems the virtual disks cannot be larger than 4GB.
How do I create a virtual disk in Ubuntu?

Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Teminal), and enter these commands (this will create a 10 GB extra.virtual.disk, adjust line 2 to change these):

cd /media/host/wubi/disks 
dd if=/dev/zero of=extra.virtual.disk bs=1000 count=0 seek=$[1000*1000*10]
mkfs.ext3 -F extra.virtual.disk

How do I create a virtual disk in Windows?

You can use qemu-img for that. Another dirty trick (but working) is to copy any other file of the desired size to c:\wubi\disks and rename it "system.virtual.disk", "home.virtual.disk", "swap.virtual.disk" or "extra.virtual.disk". That's the wubi equivalent of buying (and installing) a new hard disk ;)
How do I resize system.virtual.disk?

Create the file extra.virtual.disk of the desired size (see above) and place it under C:\wubi\disks.

Boot into Ubuntu and run the following code (you can cut and paste it into a terminal):

sudo mkfs.ext3 /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk 
      sudo mount -o loop /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk /media/extra
      sudo rsync -avx --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' / /media/extra

Boot into windows and rename extra.virtual.disk to system.virtual.disk.

How do I resize the home.virtual.disk virtual disk?

Create the file extra.virtual.disk of the desired size (see above) and place it under C:\wubi\disks.

Boot into Ubuntu and run the following code (you can cut and paste it into a terminal):

sudo mkfs.ext3 /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk 
      sudo mount -o loop /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk /media/extra
      sudo rsync -avx /home/ /media/extra

Boot into windows and rename extra.virtual.disk to home.virtual.disk

How do I access (r/w) the (NTFS) Windows drives?

Ntfs-3G is installed automatically by Wubi, and the windows drive hosting the wubi folder is automatically mounted under /media/host. To access other drives via ntfs-3g:

Make sure you have internet access (see the network icon on the top right)

Open the "Applications" menu and select "Add/Remove..."

In the listbox on the right select: "Show All Available Applications"

Search for "NTFS" and select "NTFS Configuration Tool". Click OK to install it

Run the configuration tool under Applications > System Tools > NTFS Configuration Tool

Select "Enable write support for internal device". Click OK to set it up.

How do I access the (NTFS) Windows drives the good old way?

You need to find out the device name of the windows drive by running "sudo fdisk -l", you can mount the drive manually or automatically. To do things the old way:

#look for the windows device
sudo fdisk -l
sudo mkdir /media/windows
#assuming the windows drive you want is /dev/hda1
ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /media/windows
#windows files should now be under /media/windows

To mount it automatically run the following command replacing /dev/hda1 with the appropriate device:

sudo $(
    mkdir /media/windows
    echo "/dev/hda1 /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
)

How do I get rid of the virtual disks and switch to real partitions, and/or get rid of Windows entirely?

The existing Wubi/Lubi install can be upgraded to a full, real ubuntu install with dedicated partitions using LVPM. The main site for LVPM is at [WWW] http://lubi.sourceforge.net/ and the guide and support forum is at [WWW] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=438591
How can I access my Wubi install and repair my install if it won't boot?

Boot the Ubuntu Desktop CD (preferably 7.04 or newer), or another LiveCD, and create mountpoints:

sudo mkdir /media/windows
sudo mkdir /media/wubi

With the livecd's kernel-based ntfs driver, you'll only be able to get read-only access, so it is recommended to install the read-write ntfs-3g driver (you'll need a ubuntu 7.04 livecd to do this, though, the earlier versions don't have ntfs-3g in the repos):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

Then, assuming that your Windows drive is /dev/sda1 (adjust line accordingly, you can use sudo fdisk -l to find it out; see whichever one says HPFS/NTFS on the type line), mount the partition using ntfs-3g:

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/windows

Before mounting the virtual disks, you'll want to check to see if the filesystems aren't corrupted or anything:

sudo fsck /media/windows/wubi/disks/system.virtual.disk
sudo fsck /media/windows/wubi/disks/home.virtual.disk

Then mount the virtual disks, once the filesystems have been checked and repaired:

sudo mount -o loop /media/windows/wubi/disks/system.virtual.disk /media/wubi
sudo mount -o loop /media/windows/wubi/disks/home.virtual.disk /media/wubi/home

Now you'll be able to access your wubi filesystem in /media/wubi read-write; your home dir will be in /media/wubi/home, and /media/wubi for the wubi root filesystem. You'll probably need to have root access to modify some files, so to open the filemanger with root privs:

gksudo nautilus /media/wubi

Optionally, if you need to do something like an apt-get to fix something, you can chroot in:

sudo chroot /media/wubi

And just run the commands you need to repair your install from within the shell that will then spawn. Once done with recovery, exit the shell and unmount the filesystems:

sudo umount /media/wubi/home
sudo umount /media/wubi
sudo umount /media/windows

Where's the source code for all this?

See [WWW] https://launchpad.net/lupin for the source code for the Loop-Installer backend source, [WWW] https://launchpad.net/wubi for the Windows-based Ubuntu Installer frontend source, [WWW] https://launchpad.net/lubi for the Linux-based Ubuntu Installer frontend source, and [WWW] https://launchpad.net/lvpm for the Loopmounted Virtual Partition Manager source.
Known issues
I get Grub Error 17 on reboot

Wubi uses a special version of the grub bootloader than does not overwrite to the Master Boot Record of your disks. It is called grub4dos.

On installation it adds an entry in the settings of the ntldr boot loader of Windows 2000/XP/2003.

On reboot it searches for wubi/boot/initrd and wubi/boot/linux.

This error means that grub can not read the partition where wubi resides, and can not find the initrd and linux files. There are mainly two known reasons for that (but it may also be that you hardware is not supported by grldr):

Your drive is fragmented.

Your NTFS drive is compressed.

In most cases uninstalling wubi and installing it to another drive will solve the issue. If that does not help enable the grub menu by editing c:\menu.lst and commenting out "hiddenmenu" and increasing the timeout to 10. When you see the grub menu press "c" to get the grub command prompt. Now you can see the world with the eyes of grub. Try to use the "find" command or the kernel command, hit the tab key at any moment for autocompletion and/or to have a list of available options
Your NTFS drive is compressed

Uncompress your whole drive (or at least wubi folder) using windows explorer, right click on the drive (or wubi folder), properties, advanced. Wubi should now uncompress the wubi folder for you.
Your drive is fragmented

Defragment your drive. Make sure that wubi/boot/linux and wubi/boot/initrd are not fragmented.

You can use jkdefrag for that.

download [WWW] http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/JkDefrag-3.8.zip

unzip

run: jkdefrag c:\wubi

Wubi is very slow when formatting virtual disks, it gets stacked at 33%

That phase should take from 1 to 10 minutes depending on virtual disk size and disk speed, any longer than that is an indication that we do not have the right driver included. That happens sometime with some more esoteric SATA drives. You have to check whether your HD is working at full speed. To do that press alt + F2 to get a terminal, then run the command:

hdparm -I /dev/sda 

You should see an asterisk close to udma, in a line like:

UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 '''*udma5'''

Note /dev/sda is a hard disk identifier you might have to use a different one. The most common ones are: /dev/sda, /dev/hda, /dev/sdb, /dev/hdb. You can use: grep host /proc/mounts to get a hint. If you do not have dma enabled let us know the make and model of your hard disk/controller and we will try to add the required driver.

If you have UDMA and still have the issue try one or more of the following. For 2-5 do this before rebooting.

Uninstall and run wubi again, make sure that all virtual disks are smaller than 4GB

Open a Dos shell and run: fsutil file createnew C:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk 4000000000

If you have a large file (any one will do except an ISO or another virtual disks) of 3+GB, copy it on top of c:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk

Cut and paste the C:\wubi\disks folder to another partition, and then cut and paste it back to C:\wubi.

Defragament C:\wubi : download [WWW] http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/JkDefrag-3.8.zip, unzip and run jkdefrag c:\wubi

Reboot and go on with the installation
Wubi Customization
Can you add Ubuntu-flavor-XYZ to Wubi?

Yes provided:

Ubuntu-flavor-XYZ uses the same kernel as official Ubuntu (the kernel in the Alternate ISO)

An alternate ISO URL is available

You need to send us:

Alternate ISO URL

Alternate ISO MD5

Alternate ISO file size in bytes

Can I use Wubi installer with my Debian-based distro?

Yes, if the kernel is the same as Ubuntu we can just add your distro to the list (see above), otherwise you need to:

compile lupin on the target kernel

edit IsoList.ini in wubi sources to add a reference to your d-i based ISO (remove the other ISOs you do not want).

rebrand if you like

give us credit

Where is the source code?

[WWW] Wubi devel branch

[WWW] Lubi devel branch

[WWW] Lupin devel branch

[WWW] LVPM devel branch

You probably want to use the devel branches. You will find the sftp link in the page. The preferred method to get the code is to use bzr. 

代码: 全选

What is the relationship between Linux and Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is an operating system that includes a lot of free and open source applications and uses Linux as its core. Linux is like this amazing solar-powered engine that can be used in a street car, in a F1 or it can be daisy chained to drive a truck or an airplane. Ubuntu is like a car using the Linux engine, a zero emission, fully accessorised and easy to drive all-terrain, with power, acceleration and looks matching far more expensive supercars... Imagine something like that... ...for free.

Why Ubuntu?

We think that today Ubuntu it is the best Linux-based operating system for desktop use. We also like its philosophy.You can see some Ubuntu screenshots here, for more information visit the Ubuntu website.

Is Wubi officially supported by Ubuntu?

Not at the moment, Wubi is an independent project, but there are plans to make Wubi an official installer for Ubuntu 7.10.

What flavor of Ubuntu will I get?

Most flavors, including Ubuntu (default, with GNOME), Kubuntu (with KDE), Xubuntu (with XFCE for older computers), Edubuntu (good for schools and younger users) and UbuntuStudio (for multimedia workstations). Contact us if you would like your own flavor to be available for installation via Wubi.

What is the difference among the different Ubuntu flavors?

Mostly the graphical user interface is different, and the bundled applications may change so that they better integrate with the installed interface. More information can be found at the homepages for GNOME, KDE, and XFCE.

Can I install multiple flavors?

You can select the desktop environment within Wubi. But since each desktop environment is also available as an application package, it is recommended to install Ubuntu (default option) and from there install the other desktop environments. When you login you can choose the desktop environment to use.

What applications come with Ubuntu?

Ubuntu comes fully loaded with most commonly used applications, including a full office suite compatible with MS office, image editing software, picture management software, media player, games, browser, email client, IM and video conferencing software... On top of all of this, you can easily install additional software, from a list of over 20,000 applications.

All this is installed by Wubi?

Yes (well... not all of the 20,000 applications, but Ubuntu and everything that comes with it, yes).

All for free?

Yes. Wubi is free/open-source software, licensed under the GNU GPL

Wubi Internals

How does Wubi work?

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the windows file system (c:\wubi\disks\system.virtual.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.

Is this running Ubuntu within a virtual environment or something similar?

No. This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own partition. Thus we spare you the trouble to create a free partition for Ubuntu. And we spare you the trouble to have to burn a CD-Rom.

Requirements

What are the system requirements?

256 MB RAM and an 1 GHz or faster Intel/AMD processor is recommended for optimal performance, though Xubuntu might work on less. As for disk space, the installation requires a minimum of 4GB. This space is mostly used by the virtual hard disk file. Most computers purchased within the last 3 years should be able to run Ubuntu fine, and Xubuntu is suitable for older computers.

What platforms are supported?

Wubi will run on on all Windows versions from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, more platforms to come soon. 64-bit builds are possible but not yet available. Linux/*nix/*BSD are supported through Lubi (download location and guide), and Mac OSX will eventually be supported through Mubi (developers still needed).

What is the performance?

The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for hard-disk access which is slightly slower. If your hard disk is very fragmented the performance will degenerate. However, once the Ubuntu install created by Wubi has been transferred to a dedicated partition using LVPM, the hard drive access speed will be identical to that of a standard Ubuntu installation.

Any gotcha?

Hibernation/suspend is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hardreboots (unplugging the power) than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. These problems, however, are no longer present once the Ubuntu install created by Wubi has been transferred to a dedicated partition using LVPM.

[color=red]Can I use my free hard disk space and install Ubuntu there?

Not at the moment, but the feature is in the pipeline[/color]

Can I move my virtual disk file to a dedicated partition?

You can use LVPM to transfer your install. A guide and support forum for LVPM is available here.

Where can I find additional information and resources for advanced users?

Please see the Wubi Guide for additional tips and tricks on how to make full use of Wubi's capabilities as well as to see more technical details about Wubi's inner workings.

Warranty

What warranty do I get?

None whatsoever. This is free software, and you are free to modify it, use it and redistribute it as you see fit, provided you also allow others the same freedom. Since we do not make any money out of it, it would not be fair for us to be liable if something goes wrong. We think that the technology is safe, but you run it at your own risk. See the GNU GPL license for more details.

Is there any spyware/virus?

The software is free/open-source, which means that anybody can check the code, therefore it would be pretty difficult for someone to hide a spyware/virus within the software, but you should always run all your usual security checks. As explained above, there is no warranty.

Wubi Development

Is Wubi beta software?

At the moment, yes.

zhuqin_83 写了:不好意思,我看不懂耶~
你只懂法语呀?? :( :lol:
上次由 skyx 在 2007-08-20 10:18,总共编辑 2 次。
no security measure is worth anything if an attacker has physical access to the machine
focos
帖子: 14
注册时间: 2006-09-17 10:17
来自: 南京
联系:

帖子 focos » 2007-02-10 12:52

主要功能就是在windows下安装ubuntu
不过问题是要在安装过程中BT下载文件的,漫长的等待……
不过的确为linux的普及提供了一条路
头像
zhuqin_83
联系:

帖子 zhuqin_83 » 2007-02-10 13:30

skyx 写了:
zhuqin_83 写了:不好意思,我看不懂耶~
你只懂法语呀?? :(
did i say that?
oh, BTW, je parle japonais :D
DELL UltraSharp 2209WA
Arch64, Testing repo
头像
skyx
论坛版主
联系:

帖子 skyx » 2007-02-10 13:45

oh, BTW, je parle japonais
这是火星语?

mm把这些英文翻译一遍吧,我肯定帮你++

没功夫翻译,因为地球人都能看懂。
ghost0
帖子: 364
注册时间: 2006-08-11 0:28

帖子 ghost0 » 2007-02-10 13:52

skyx 写了: 没功夫翻译,因为地球人都能看懂。
现在才知道原来我国大部分都是外星移民,难怪中国人口咋那多呢 :em19
ghost0
帖子: 364
注册时间: 2006-08-11 0:28

帖子 ghost0 » 2007-02-10 13:55

象gnix_oag哪种通过硬盘启动livecd不安装直接使用,变化保存在几个虚拟的文件里,当然不用分区,不过那不是真正的安装啊,不过既然启动了livecd,应该也可以分区安装吧
头像
zhuqin_83
联系:

帖子 zhuqin_83 » 2007-02-10 13:58

skyx 写了:
oh, BTW, je parle japonais
这是火星语?

mm把这些英文翻译一遍吧,我肯定帮你++

没功夫翻译,因为地球人都能看懂。
这个前半部是英文,后半部是法语。

毕竟还有很多人对英文不感冒的,看到英文就头大。给中国人看的东西,还是中文最方便、最实在。
DELL UltraSharp 2209WA
Arch64, Testing repo
头像
bcbcc
帖子: 78
注册时间: 2007-02-06 17:09

帖子 bcbcc » 2007-02-10 15:52

好东西,我顶,还有我C盘XP是NTFS,能这样装吗?
头像
bcbcc
帖子: 78
注册时间: 2007-02-06 17:09

帖子 bcbcc » 2007-02-10 15:55

能支持,我看到了,在顶
头像
skyx
论坛版主
联系:

帖子 skyx » 2007-07-31 17:48

bcbcc 写了:好东西,我顶,还有我C盘XP是NTFS,能这样装吗?
支持ntfs分区。把ubuntu当成一个xp的软件安装就是了。
回复